On Monday we dropped the kids off at their grandparents house. It is a 4 hour trek “north” of us (near Orlando) but it’s well worth the drive. We drove 8 hours round-trip to drop them and this weekend, we will drive 8 hours round-trip to pick them up. For the cost of gas in our Prius V. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t hire a babysitter to watch them for 5 days for that. We actually don’t mind the time the drive takes so much any more- On the way home, we actually talked for 4 hours straight. Uninterrupted. A lot of ground can be covered in 4 hours without a kiddo to interrupt or trying to jump off the top of the piano. (Yes, that happened.) That’s one skill that becoming a parent improves upon: having meaningful conversations in small windows of opportunity when kids are otherwise occupied. Which makes big chunks of time extremely interesting for conversations!
The last few years, my “breaks” have been away from home. I’ve found them to be super important for me to get away and I’ve started to do so every 4-6 months or so. Michael and I reverse roles for a short time, usually for a long weekend, and I do the traveling while he stays home. My version of a business trip, so to speak. It’s a win-win, really: he gets extended time with the kids and I get some self-care time for me.
Last year after our move, I left our kids with my parents for a week so that I could get settled and unpack. That was super helpful. This week has given me time to declutter and make progress on some long overdue projects.
My Life Without Kids This Week:
- The refrigerator has never seemed so loud.
- I woke in a panic at 2 am because our little guy hasn’t crawled into bed with us.
- Walked on the beach at 10 am
- Got showered and dressed and dried hair and put on mascara. In the same day.
- Had a date night mid-week.
- Ran to the store and post office in under 45 minutes.
- Listened to what I wanted to hear on Pandora instead of Kids Bop
- Reorganized the kids rooms. I really should take a picture.
- Boxed up some toys that they all have outgrown. Got teary eyed at that.
- Brushed it off because they still have so much crap.
- Found Lego mini-figure under the bookcase with enough dog hair to create another small animal.
- Took the dog to the dog park.
- Organized closets.
- Donated a bunch of stuff to Goodwill
- Baked 3 loaves of bread
- This blog post….
- Gathered some art supplies for creative projects
- Went to the library and didn’t have to chase our naked little guy through the stacks. (Yes. That has happened too.)
- Edited some photos